Our Policy Changes
Exonerated Nation advocates for Policy Change For Exonerees in California!
Since 2015, Exonerated Nation has provided education to California policy makers so they can develop legislation that improves the lives of exonerees and furthers overall criminal justice reform.
AB 672 (Jones-Sawyer) -2015, Obie’s Law:
- Provide free drivers license or identification card (DMV)
- Provide transitional services: housing assistance, job training, mental health services (CDCR). Same as the services provided to parolees
AB 1909 (Lopez) -2016, Felony for prosecutorial misconduct
- Expanded law that makes it a felony for a peace officer to willfully and intentionally tamper with evidence to include a prosecutor who intentionally and in bad faith withholds exculpatory evidence
SB 1050 (Lara) -2018, Gate Money
- Given $1,000 dollars gate money upon release
- Enrollment in Medi-Cal and CalFresh programs
- Provide transition services for 6 months to 1 year.
- CDCR must notify DOJ of exoneration and DOJ must immediately expunge the person’s criminal history information
AB 701 (Weber) -2019, Exoneree Housing
- $5,000 dollars upon release for housing expenses
- Receive direct payment or reimbursement for reasonable housing costs for 4 years
AB 703 (Weber) -2019, Exoneree Higher Education
- No statewide tuition or fees for exonerated individuals attending a public college or university in California.
- Applies to the University of California, California State University, and California Community Colleges
AB 703 PDF
We are so grateful to Assembly members, Reggie Jones-Sawyer, Patty Lopez, and Shirley Weber, and Sens. Holly Mitchell and Ricardo Lara their leadership to impact change toward improving the lives and status for exonerees in the State of California. In addition, we are grateful to Governor Gavin Newsom who signed Assembly Bills 701 and 703 into law in 2019.
Exonerees seeking assistance in navigating the processes for any of these bills can reach out to our Social Support Team for guidance.
WE WANT TO THANK OUR SPONSORS
FOR THEIR GENEROUS SUPPORT
share your story
how can you help?
WE NEED PEOPLE LIKE YOU! BE PART OF THE SOLUTION.
Exonerated Nation is a growing organization and we’re calling on you to help us meet the needs of exonerees. Here are three ways to support us: Make a tax-deductible donation to EN. Invite an exoneree to speak to your school or organization. Organize an event to educate your friends about wrongful convictions . Donate your gently used computers, cell phones, and clothing.